Thursday, September 3, 2009

Jana Hunter @ Market Hotel, September 2nd, 2009


I didn't have anything to do, and Shani suggested seeing the show at Market Hotel, so I said why not. The opening bands were pretty awful, except for Twisty Cat, which was a 3-piece experimental-group consisting of a baritone sax and a bass clarinet through some fuzzy effects pedals, and a percussionist who attached a touch-sensor to his ride, so that every time he hit the cymbal, a stage light would flash at various intensities. Cool! But kind of gimmicky... Jana Hunter is definitely more my speed. She has a lovely relaxed psych sound that instantly put me in a warm fuzzy mood. Her band plays well together, with a common vision for the music. I think I liked the live show, which comes off as more abstract and alt, better than their latest album There's No Home, which comes off as softer and sweeter. Would see them again!

No comments: