Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Apostle of Hustle @ Mercury Lounge, June 25th 2007


Apostle of Hustle is my new favorite Broken Social Scene spin-off group. Maybe because the lead-guitarist in BSS, Andrew Whiteman, is such an integral part of BSS's signature sound, so it rubs off in 'the Hustle' more than in the other 'Scenes.' Tonight they played with special guest Latin percussionist, Danielito "el suerte" Patanemo, who definitely added another rhythmic level to their sound, and made it even spicier (in short, think of BSS, but happier, less instruments, and an up-beat Latin rhythm base - sweet). Overall, it was an intimate and lovely show, with that happy vibe that BSS shows are known for. Whiteman was in a talkative mood and it was nice to see stage banter that isn't formulaic (his story about a ninja-midget drugging the white house was hilarious!). Even though I didn't know any of the songs, and half of them were sung in Spanish, I had to stay to the end (which was a little later than I wanted to stay out on a monday), but the music was that good. Anyway, I've finally found the BSS spin-off that I can really get excited about, so now all I have to do is buy all of their records and take them to the beach for my life to be complete. :)

No comments: