Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Voxtrot and Au Revoir Simone @ Webster Hall, June 15th, 2007


Geez, I go to too many shows. I should really like stay home and read a book or something... Anyway, I only caught the last few songs of Au Revoir Simone, because they played an early set at the ghastly hour of 7pm (don't they know I have to work!) They have a very sweet sound comprised from vintage synths and drum machines, with vocals that hearken to Dirty on Purpose (one of the three lovely ladies in the band used to sing for DOP) I was trying to decide which one I wanted to make-out with the most, but I couldn't, but I guess that is really part of their charm. No, it's the music dammit! Aaaaggh!

Voxtrot photo: courtesy of Brooklyn Vegan.

My buddy Jay introduced me to Voxtrot. And when I first saw them, they reminded me of like a punk Belle & Sebastian, if B&S were schooled on the mean indie streets of Austin. Of course now, I absolutely love their free-indie.com album, which is really why i went to this show (mostly to see Mothers, Daughters, etc. played live). This Webster Hall show had more of an early Beatles vibe (maybe it was just the bass player's Paul McCartney hofner or the use of the additional string section for this show). And of course the audience dug it (gotta love those pop melodies). They wouldn't even leave after Ramesh played a lonely encore, solo on the acoustic guitar. I know if I was a 15 year old girl, I would definitely have their poster on the wall. Heck, I might even do it anyway.

No comments: