Saturday, June 9, 2007

The Fucking Champs @ Mercury Lounge, Monday June 4th, 2007

I was introduced to The Fucking Champs by my friend Casey back in Boston, when he put on an extremely aggressive but enjoyable CD that definitely lives up to their namesake. Their drummer is quite solid. Just watching him is like taking an advanced rock drum lesson, with a focus on poly-rhythms. And they were loud. I mean, I usually like to go up front and check out the gear for a minute to see what they're working with (vintage Marshall amps, no joke), but it was so loud I could only stay up there for like one song. So what do they sound like? Kind of like a mix of heavy metal grunge and math rock. Basically, "guitar hero" in real life. There was this one dude in the audience (my buddy chris), who was head-banging so hard, it made my night. On the downside, by the end of their set, all the songs kindof sound the same, but wtfn (why the f not), they're the Champs.

No comments: